Preparing Your Student Import File
Why do I need to enter email addresses?
We require an email address because it can be a big help later on! For instance, it’s the only way for you (or your students) to be able to reset their password. Remember that you don’t need to list a student email address. You can list the email address of their parents, or a teacher email. A lot of teachers opt to enter their own email address for all of their student accounts so that they can help students with password resets. Don’t worry, we won’t spam your email! As a general rule, we don’t send any emails to student accounts. You’ll only get an email if you request a password reset.
Why do I need to enter passwords?
Everyone needs to enter a QuaverName and password to log into QuaverMusic.com. Student passwords typically need to be something familiar to the student and/or something very easy to remember. We figure you know your students best! You can set their passwords to be something they know well, perhaps their student ID, or you can give all of your students one simple password so it’s easy for you to help them get in.
Why do I need to enter Class Codes?
Remember that our Student Roster Importer does two major things:
- It creates a student account for every student listed in your file.
- It enrolls each student account in the Quaver Class listed.
It’s that part 2 that’s relevant here – Quaver Classes are identified by Class Code! Otherwise, we wouldn’t know which Quaver Class to enroll the student in. Of course this means you’ll need to create the classes in Quaver before you import your students. Review our class setup instructions here.
Why do QuaverNames need to be unique?
QuaverNames are the usernames of QuaverMusic.com. It’s the only way we can tell who is trying to log in! If multiple users have the same name, we won’t know who is logging in or what account they are trying to access.
We know it can be tough sometimes to come up with unique usernames for all of your students that are still practical and easy to remember. From experience, we’ve seen that a good method can be adding a district prefix to the username. For example, if the student’s name is John Doe, and you want their QuaverName to be jdoe, that might already be taken. Say your district is called Quaver’s Marvelous World. You could try adding QMW to all of your students’ QuaverNames, so instead of jdoe, it would be QMWjdoe – that’s probably available!
Remember, you can submit your student import file without any QuaverNames, and we’ll generate them for you. Once your file is imported, we’ll provide a receipt with all of the QuaverNames we created.
I’m not sure how to save my spreadsheet as a CSV. Can you help?
Any spreadsheet program you are using – Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, Numbers, etc. – should have an option to export your file as a CSV (comma separated values). View our specific help instructions on saving a CSV here.
Accessing the Student Roster Importer
How do I get to the Student Roster Importer?
If you’re a Quaver teacher, follow these instructions to access the Student Roster Importer.
If you’re an IT person, we can set you up with your own credentials to access the Student Roster Importer. This will do two things:
- It will allow you to access the Student Roster Importer without having a Quaver teacher account set up.
- It will allow you to import students to classes owned by any teachers in your district.
If you’re an IT person interested in using the Student Roster Importer, contact implementation@QuaverMusic.com and we’ll set you up with an account.
Please keep in mind that our Student Roster Importer is not a tool that facilitates rostering integrations. It simply allows for static bulk imports. If your district is interested in a rostering integration, we do offer rostering via OneRoster v1.0.
I don’t see the Bulk Import Students button on my Students screen. Where is it?
If you don’t see the Bulk Import Students button on your Students screen, it is likely that the class selected is a district roster-generated class. Unfortunately we don’t allow imports, or any manual edits, to district roster-generated classes. These classes are controlled by your district IT, and they are updated nightly. Since these classes are generated by a rostering integration with your district and updated nightly, all of your classes and students should already be enrolled! If you’re not seeing the correct student rosters in these classes, please contact your district IT for help.
Validating and Importing Your Student Import File
Why do you have to validate my file? What are you looking for?
We validate your file in an effort to help you! Imports are not reversible, so we want to make sure that everything you submit looks accurate (as far as we can tell) to ensure that your student accounts are created and enrolled exactly as you need them. Generally, we are checking to make sure your data is in the correct format – so that it will import correctly! The error and warning text displayed in the importer will describe the type of issue and tell you which rows in your file have that issue. Some of the things we are checking for are:
- Do you have the proper column headers? This is crucial to make sure we are importing the data correctly!
- Do you have all of the required data entered? If you’re not sure which columns are required, review our format specifications.
- If you submitted QuaverNames for your students, are they all unique? Are they all available in our system? Every Quaver user must have a unique QuaverName, so we need to make sure the ones you’ve requested are unique both in your file, and in our system.
- Do you have permission to edit the classes in your file? Teachers are only allowed to import students to classes that they created with their own Quaver account. Teachers cannot import students to district roster-generated classes, or classes owned by other teachers. IT persons are only allowed to import students to classes owned by teachers in their district. IT persons cannot import students to district roster-generated classes, or classes owned by teachers outside of their district.
When I try to submit my Student Import file, I get an “Invalid Permissions” error saying that I can’t import to those classes. What should I do?
There are 2 reasons that you could be getting this error.
- You are trying to import students to a class that is owned by a different Quaver teacher account.
- You are trying to import students to a district roster-generated class.
Case 1: Trying to import students to a class owned by a different teacher
We know that teachers like to help each other out, and sometimes a tech-savvy teacher will want to import students to a colleague’s classes. By default teachers cannot import students to district roster-generated classes, or classes owned by other teachers. However, if you are a teacher trying to help other teachers in your district with imports, let us know! Contact implementation@QuaverMusic.com and we’ll set you up with an IT account, which will allow you to import students to classes owned by other teachers in your district.
Case 2: Trying to import students to a district roster-generated class
Unfortunately we don’t allow imports, or any manual edits, to district roster-generated classes. These classes are controlled by your district IT, and they are updated nightly. Since these classes are generated by a rostering integration with your district and updated nightly, all of your classes and students should already be enrolled! If you’re not seeing the correct student rosters in these classes, please contact your district IT for help.
My file is larger than 3 MB. Now what?
With the data format specified, a CSV file larger than 3 MB would likely have 30,000 or more students. If you’re trying to import that many students, it’s probably best we look at other options for you, such as a OneRoster rostering integration. Contact implementation@QuaverMusic.com for help!
When my file was validating or importing, it said something went wrong! What do I do?
If you got a message that said “Oops! Something went wrong..”, it sounds like you got a system error. We’re sorry about that! The good news is that our import team has already been notified of the error and we’re on it. You can click Restart to try again, or you can contact our import team directly at imports@QuaverMusic.com for more help.
How can I be sure that the student data being imported into Quaver is secure?
Great question! We know that security is super important when it comes to student data. When you upload your file to the Student Roster Importer, the first thing we do is encrypt it. That way, even while we’re testing it and validating it, it’s completely secure. When your data is imported, all of it is stored encrypted in a firewalled databased. Your import receipt files are also stored completely encrypted. When you click Download Receipt, we decrypt the file right at that moment, so that it downloads back to you decrypted.
Other Rostering Options
Does Quaver offer any alternatives for setting up student accounts?
Yes we do! We offer a number of rostering methods. In fact, the Student Roster Importer isn’t always the best fit. Some things to consider:
- Does your district use a Single Sign On (SSO) method to access Quaver? If your district uses SSO, or plans to use SSO, to access Quaver, the Student Roster Importer probably isn’t the best fit for you. Many districts with SSO also have rostering integrations with us.
- If your district has SSO and a rostering integration, you shouldn’t need to import your student rosters. If you’re not seeing the correct student rosters in your district classes, please contact your district IT for help.
- If your district has SSO but does not have a rostering integration, SSO simplifies account creation for students by allowing them to quickly create an account when they first come through SSO. Since the Student Roster Importer creates student accounts as well, it can often result in students having duplicate accounts created. SSO students can use their SSO-generated accounts to access Quaver, and can enroll in Quaver classes easily by using our Student Self-Enrollment method.
- Do your student rosters change a lot throughout the year? If you frequently have students leaving classes and new students joining classes throughout the year, it can be tough to keep up with performing imports frequently. Your district might want to look into a rostering integration with us. Otherwise, you can try using the Student Roster Importer to set up your initial rosters, and then you can manually add and remove students throughout the year.